Sunday, October 19, 2014

Circumnavigating Chincoteague

Yesterday I kayaked completely around Chincoteague Island with my boat, Maybell High Tide, and my friend Josh, in a Coastal Kayak. It was a paddle between 18 and 20 miles.


moon jelly
This has been a dream of mine since I moved here and I am so grateful I was able to accomplish it. The conditions were in our favor until the wind shifted and picked up significantly, leaving us silent, forcing all energy on not stopping, for if we did, we would immediately blow backwards. We were chased by dogs in the water, took two out of boat breaks, one restful, one sinking in mud being bitten by fish and snails. Flew by more than half of the island in 4 hours and took 5 and a half hours more to finish.
Good morning!

The last 10 miles were met with challenge, we gave it hell, dug deep and eventually found the humor in it. We did it.

 -Caroline 10/18/14



No comments:

Post a Comment